Sanctuary of Guayente

guayente01

In the year 1070 in a quiet afternoon Sr. don Hernando Azcón was on his way to his house in the town of Liri coming from anciles following the Esera river, It was dark when he had already left behind the town of Eriste when he arrived to the path known ans "Roques trencades", then he heard some voices chanting prayers coming from from far away, so he decided to follow the voices walking back to the river. Finally a glorious shining led him to a small cave where he found the image of Nuestra Señora (our Lady), he prayed and was grateful for the finding he took the image with him to the neighbouring town of Sahún so that it could be revered by the local people, but mysteriously the image dissapeared from the town and it went back to the cave where it was first found and this happened in two ocasions.

Don Hernando then understood that the image of Nuestra Señora (our Lady) wished to be revered in the cave so he built a temple around it to keep it safe.

The church was built between the XII and the XVI centuries, the building has two main parts, the church and the main residence.

The church contains 8 altars, among them the major altar outstands which is a beautifully example of the renaissance style with ten polychomated wooden carvings exemplyfiyng the life of the Holy Virgin and another one showing the Virgin with the child.

informacion

In Benasque (main town of the valley), the early Visigothic church of San Martín was, but the Romanesque, which was built later, in the twelfth century, and was named Santa Maria.

btn_camara
Photos

FaLang translation system by Faboba