Basilica Virgen de la Peña

The Basilica is located on the hillside of la peña del Morral, in the tradition dating back to 1803 when the taking of the village by Sancho Ramirez took place,then some strange shining led the way to the stone where the image of the Virgin was found, hence the name "de la peña" (of the rock). A chapel was built in that place in the XIII century which western wall still remains in the actual temple sculptured in the late Gothic period with ornamentation from the renaissance era.

Also found here are other monumental buildings such as the San Juan de Letran chapel,the Atrium and the Cloister.

One can access the architectural complex from the floor below the cloister whose balcony is known as the "predicadera" (preaching room) of San Vicente Ferrer, who according to the tradition preached his way through Graus in 1415, it was him who presented the villa de Graus with the famous crucifix revered today at the church of San Miguel.

The Cloister also serves as a magnificent observatory point to the village and the valley, upon the building lies the old guest house currently housing the museum of  icons, a wonderful collection of western religious icons, the gallery is made of arches held by external helicoidal and interior poligonal columns.

The interior of the church of rectangular shaped floors has three corresponding areas,each one feauturing vaults held by columns. The principal vault displays a crucifix made by Modesto Gene and to the left side of the Altar is the sarcophagus of Esteban de esmir, Bishop of Huesca born in Graus who financed the decorations of the temple.

In the Presbytery an image of the Virgin of la Pena is kept, a copy made in 1940 by the Grausinian sculptor Felipe Coscolla. The image was molded after the original which was also used as a substitute for its primitive predecesor carved in stone. The eastern wall has a huge window-like made to the Gothic style responsible for the soft illumination of the room.

At the front of the entrance of the church is the small chapel of San Juan de Letran, framed by columns and a fronton.

 

informacion

The Basilica is located on the hillside of la peña del Morral, in the tradition dating back to 1803 when the taking of the village by Sancho Ramirez took place,then some strange shining led the way to the stone where the image of the Virgin was found, hence the name "de la peña" (of the rock).

btn_camara
Photos

FaLang translation system by Faboba